Have you been involved in a car accident recently? You may feel unlucky right now; however you should be at least grateful that you’re still alive. During the last count 2 years ago, there were 33,963 USA deaths involving car accidents recorded. Throughout that same period there were 11,500,000 car accidents recorded. With these high numbers you should see that car accidents are more common than you think. But what do you do if you have just had a car accident? For most people they will need legal assistance to represent them and perhaps defend them from any liabilities. Below are our top tips to consider when choosing a car accident lawyer.
Top 5 Tips – Choosing a Car Accident Lawyer:
1) Do you require a car accident lawyer? – The first question you need to consider is whether you actually need a car accident lawyer or can you represent yourself? This of course depends on the seriousness of the accident. For example, if your car only has a damaged bumper and there has been no personal injury then you could represent yourself. However this can be time consuming dealing not just with both insurance companies but also getting quotes for repair work etc. If your accident was more serious involving injuries, then the severity of these injuries will determine if you need a car accident lawyer. As a general rule, if at least one person has serious injuries then a car accident lawyer can be invaluable for your case.
2) Research several car accident lawyers first – When selecting Phoenix Personal Injury Lawyer to represent you and your car accident you should not just call the first person you find in the phonebook. You should spend some time researching local car accident lawyers and if possible researching their previous case records to see what types of cases that have represented. You should be trying to locate a car accident lawyer that has successfully represented a similar case to yours.
3) Meet your car accident lawyer in person – Once you have completed your research you should arrange a consultation meeting face to face with your chosen attorney. It is important to use this opportunity to provide as much information as possible about your accident including any relevant documentation from the insurance company, police records or medical bills. By providing all of this information and details, your case and lawyer stand a better chance of success from the beginning.
4) Find out how much you need to participate – One of the main reasons for using a car accident lawyer to represent you is so that you can get on with your life. It’s important therefore that your attorney can keep you fully informed but not require you to constantly attend meetings or court hearings if not absolutely necessary. Ensure you have a clear understanding of what, where and when you will likely need to participate so that you can be prepared of what will be expected of you in your car accident case.
5) Find out cost before you sign with your car accident lawyer – Fees can vary depending on the car accident lawyer and their firm that is representing you. Ensure that you fully understand the fee structure before you sign any agreement. If you’re unsure ask for clarification. Remember your case may go on longer than you think and more work may be required than originally thought. Make sure that you work out the fee arrangements on a worst case scenario so that you don’t receive any nasty surprises.
We hope that this article has helped you understand your options after you have been involved in a car accident. You should now be able to research and select a car accident lawyer that best suits your need. You should also be more confident dealing with the legal issues surrounding your accident and be able to move on from the accident and get on with the rest of your life.